Do you, at times, see yourself longing for your favored TV chair also being a rocking chair? Is there a new baby in your household that you desire you could sing to while he dozes off in your arms as you sit conveniently all on your own? Does your concept of relaxing after a winding day’s work comprise reading a book by the bonfire in the winter or simply beholding the scenery outdoors in the summer season?
American proclivity for rocking chairs
If your reply to any of the posers was a “yes”, you indeed are not alone. An increasing number of Americans either have a rocking chair that has become a member of the family or contemplate purchasing one.
Rocking chairs started to surface in the late 1700s when someone hit upon the idea of introducing skates or rockers to the bottom of adult furniture, akin to a kid’s rocking cradle or rocking horse.
Ever since, having a rocking chair has become a markedly American pre-occupation, with a large number of Americans, including some of USA’s known presidents, displaying immense liking for their rocking chairs. You must have heard of the president’s rocking chair!
But how does one zero in on a good rocking chair? Below, we share some tips on how to go about selecting a rocking chair that is appropriate for you.
Pointers on how to select a rocking chair
1. The first question that you want to be putting to yourself is: Where are you going to place your pride possession? If it’ll be indoors by the fireplace or in the family room, you can go for a cushioned or timber rocking chair made of light maple or yellowish oak. If you want to go for the best outdoor rocking chairs for use in your garden or in the front porch, you can select a sweetly-scented cedar, a painted Brazilian cherry wood or teakwood, durable enough to be able to stand up to the elements.
2. A significant priority when it comes to rocking chairs is convenience. Rocking chairs have been employed to fulfill therapeutic intents and purposes, John F Kennedy’s rocking chair being a known example. It is stated that an Appalachian oak rocker having a steam-bent curved backrest and woven seat made of Malaysian rattan gave President Kennedy relief from his bad back.
Replying to the following set of questions may assist you when it comes to deciding whether the rocking chair you are selecting will give you the comfort you require.
- Does the rocking chair provide seating comfort and support?
- Is the chair set low enough for comfortable elbow support?
- Are the armrests wide enough to rest your arms and provide the right balance?
- Do the seat and back offer firmness and flexibility?
- Do the seats slant downward to fit the whole back while supporting the lower back?
3. Is the rocker pitched correctly? In layman’s terms, does the rocking chair provide a smooth and even rocking motion without tipping, even when you are in the reclining position? Or does it feel like you are about to flip backwards when you are rocking? Does a single push keep the rocking chair rocking for a few minutes or does it stop after only a few seconds?
4. Was the rocking chair constructed using techniques that have been proven to result in stronger and more durable rocking chairs that can withstand everyday use? Some of these techniques include construction without glue, interlocking joinery and the famous Maloof technique of using seven laminated strips of wood to strengthen each of the long, elegant skis that are used in his rocking chair designs.
5. What style of rocking chair will fit your decor? Do you want an upholstered rocking chair or do you want to see the timber’s natural wood grain enlivened by an oil finish? Do you want charming white wicker chair or casual rattan? How do you want your the back of your rocking chair – traditional ladder back horizontal slats, vertical slats or woven cane? Do you want it stained, oiled, varnished or painted?
6. How much do you want to spend for your rocking chair? Whatever your budget, there seems to be a rocking chair for everyone’s fancy – whether it’s the $20,000 Sam Maloof with a two-year waiting list for the ultimate in rocking chair experience or the vintage white wicker rocking chair you’ve just bid successfully on eBay for $20, or somewhere in between.
7. And last but not least, do you want your rocking chair shipped to you assembled or are you handy with tools and don’t mind assembling it yourself if you can save some money?